- Any millet/ragi flour -1/2 cup
- Wheat flour-1/2 cup
- Powdered white sugar/powdered organic jaggery-1/2 cup
- Cold Butter-100 grams- 1/2 cup
- Baking powder -1 tsp
- Vanilla essence -1/2 tsp
- Milk – 2 tbsp to knead the dough.
- Grease a cookie tray with butter and keep it ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C for 15 minutes.
- Roast ragi flour on low flame until you get a nice smell of roasted ragi. Leave it to cool.
- Sieve together ragi flour, wheat flour and baking powder.
Now all our ingredients are kept ready. Cut butter into small pieces and add to the sieved ragi + wheat flour. How to make ragi biscuits
- Mix well with your fingers until the mixture become crumbled as shown in the picture below.
- Add powdered sugar or jaggery or brown sugar and mix it well.
- preparing ragi/millet sweet biscuit
- Add needed milk little at a time and make a smooth dough. Refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes.
how to prepare ragi cookies/biscuits
- Dust wheat flour and roll out the dough. The rolled out dough should not be too thin nor too thick.
- Using a lid or cookie cutter, cut desired shapes. I have used a round bottle cap. Press it with a fork as shown in the picture below to give it a striped pattern. Alternatively, you can make small balls out of the dough, press it between your palms to give a round flat shape (just like cookies) and make striped design with a fork and then bake.
- Place the biscuits on a greased tray and bake at 180 degree C for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuits start browning slightly. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Once it cools it will become crisp. Store it in an airtight container.
- Variations -For cardamom flavor, add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder instead of vanilla essence.
- For cinnamon flavor, add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder instead of vanilla essence.