- Any millet – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1 small finely chopped
- Coconut – 2 tbsp grated
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp for greasing
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few torn into pieces
- Green Chillies – 1 finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items under ‘to temper’, let it splutter. Then add chopped carrot and sauce for 2mins until raw smell leaves. Then add water and allow it to boil for 3mins so that carrots get half cooked. Add required salt.
- Rinse the millet, drain water from it. When water boils, add the millet. Cook covered until the millet is cooked and all the water is absorbed. Add coconut give a quick mix and switch off.
- Switch off and allow it to cool for few mins. Once it is hand bearable hot grease your hands with oil and start making kozhukattai shapes or even as simply balls.Continue doing it till the entire mixture gets over. If it’s too dry then sprinkle little water to hold them together.Grease idli plates / steaming plate with little oil and carefully transfer the kozhukattais to the plate and steam it for 5-7mins.
- Switch off. Serve hot with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice!