Ragi roti recipe – Learn to make ragi roti with step by step pictures
ragi or finger millet is a staple grain in our parts of karnataka. They are often used to make malt, ladoo, dosa and healthy biscuit.
Sharing 2 variations of ragi roti or ragi rotti recipe. Both are easy and can be prepared under 30 minutes for a family of 4. It can be served with any chutney, dal, sambar or gravy curry. I love both the versions and they taste different. Ragi rotti made using the second method is called as nachni bakri or ragi bakhri in some parts of Karnataka and Maharashtra.
1. Add ragi flour, onions, chilies, cumin and salt to a bowl.Add water as needed and make a soft dough that is spreadable.
2. Make 5 equal sized balls. Place a ball of dough on the pan, grease your fingers or moisten them by dipping in a bowl of water. Spread the dough gently to a thin roti.
3. Place it on the stove and cook covered until you see the color of the roti changes to a darker shade, if you have not greased your fingers, then it turns white in color.Flip the roti and fry on the other side too until done.
4. you will need 2 pans or tawas or there will be a waiting time until the tawa cools. To make the next roti either make it on another tawa or wait till the tawa cools. If you try to make the roti on the hot tawa, it will not spread.Roti made using finger millet or ragi flourAuthor: SwasthiRecipe type: MainCuisine: south indianYield / Serves: 2
- 1 cup ragi flour / finger millet flour
- 1 to 1½ cups water
- salt as needed
- extra flour for sprinkling.
- Add salt and water to a bowl and bring it to a rolling point.
- Add flour to a bowl, pour water as needed and make mix with a spoon to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle flour on the rolling area, make equal sized balls and place a ball on the rolling area.
- pat the ball, gently with fingers to spread the dough evenly and make a medium sized roti. Alternately, roll gently using a rolling pin to a roti.
- Fill water in a small bowl along with a cloth.
- Heat a tawa and place a roti over it . Squeeze off excess water from the cloth, Dampen the roti with the moist cloth.
- Flip it when it is cooked.If needed cover and cook to keep them soft.
- Stack ragi roti and keep them covered until served.